Reflecting on 2019

The end of a year is always a time of reflection on where we have been and where our path will lead us next. Our growing community has become stronger than ever as our trainers and desk team have provided encouragement, accountability, and resources for our clients to be successful. We see people flourishing in their health and fitness as they deepen their commitment to movement and we couldn’t be happier.

We know that movement heals. With a focus on common health issues that many of us face, we were able to host several events this year that brought us together as a group to hear from experts and engage in conversation around these topics. In 2019 we held events in partnership with local health providers related to back pain, pelvic floor issues, and osteoporosis. We are committed to continuing these conversations into the new year and using movement as medicine. We’re always listening if there’s a topic you wish we would explore further in 2020.

We can’t look back on 2019 without once more congratulating our most recent group of MOVE Pilates Instructor Training graduates. Joining the MOVE Comprehensive Pilates Instructor Training Program is a big commitment and these students worked tirelessly to soak up and assimilate a wealth of information. In training the next generation of movement teachers, we are proud to impact the future of our industry and of what these teachers will bring to our studio. While these apprentices are wrapping up their practice hours and beginning their professional movement careers, we prepare to welcome the next Instructor Training class in February 2020.

Welcoming 2020

As we anticipate what we can accomplish in the new year, some topics and themes you can look forward to include:

• More movement and programming for healthy backs
  • Regular osteoporosis classes and discussion groups
  • A renewed focus on post-therapy fitness
  • Additional classes for men
  • More pre/postnatal programs
  • Continued collaboration with healthcare providers

We are ending a year filled with great memories and fun times. Know that as we have helped you reach your goals, you are helping us to reach our goal of sharing MOVE with as many people as possible. We have so much appreciation for the trust you place in us and thank you for giving us the opportunity to do what we love. MOVE Wellness is a reflection of the beautiful community inside our studio and we raise a toast to each of you wishing you a new year filled with health, joy, and movement. 

Happy New Year!

Elaine & Robin

Gratitude for bringing family together

This Thanksgiving, I am very aware and grateful for the privilege of enjoying a day with my family. With two of my three boys in college, my heart is full when everyone is in the house together. As I think about the holiday this year, I’ve been reflecting on how to balance our family table. My husband and I like to serve plenty of traditional favorites while being mindful of healthy eating habits.

In addition to the dishes that are favorites of our parents, we ask our kids what they want on the table. Typical dishes like stuffing and mashed potatoes are at the top of their list, but they are fond of some of our childhood favorites too. Our family’s southern roots bring sweet potato casserole, whipped butternut squash, pecan pie, and candied apples. While my Greek heritage brings delicious spanakopita to our Thanksgiving. 

Moving a traditional menu forward

Over the years I’ve tried to create versions of these traditional recipes with less (or no) sugar and dairy but I’m quite often caught by my perceptive oldest son with very acute taste buds. I still try. My own plate is usually full of side dishes since I enjoy the colorful selection of vegetables available this time of year.

Fresh vegetables from a summer farm share

Sharing lightened up recipes

We have two updated recipes on our menu for this year to share with you. They stand alongside the traditional favorites to add in some extra vegetables and lighten things up.

• My husband will make the usual brussels sprouts this year, but with a twist. Our sprouts will feature a balsamic reduction for depth and subtle sweetness with toasted pecans for crunch and texture. We are opting for a meat free version, instead of last year’s iteration which featured bacon. 
  • I am bringing back a baked artichoke recipe I’ve enjoyed in the past by Lucinda Scala Quinn, author of Mad Hungry and Martha Stewart’s Executive Food Director. I found this recipe several years ago and loved it for its Italian influence with lemon, herbs, and garlic. Lemon always brightens things up and this dish is a refreshing break from the heavier foods that are traditional to Thanksgiving.

A grateful heart for my MOVE community

I hope that this unique blend of food my family is planning will bring everyone joy and honor our past while encouraging them to try new things. I hope you find your own inspiration in planning your holiday menu. This is really a beautiful time of year. The entire concept of Thanksgiving is an intentional appreciation of abundance and all the positive in our lives. There is a nourishing focus on gratitude that is good for the soul and beneficial to our overall health and wellness. 

In that spirit, and with a grateful heart, I offer my thanks to each and every one of you for being a part of our MOVE community. All of you make MOVE the special place that it is and we are so fortunate to work together in good health.

Happy Thanksgiving!

This content has been updated December 27, 2019.

Creating opportunities for community and personal wellness is at the heart of what we do at MOVE. In that spirit, we launched our new Osteoporosis Discussion Group for members this summer. At our meeting on October 4 we were joined by Dr. Amy Saunders, a board certified internal medicine physician in Ann Arbor who shared her thoughts and expertise on bone health medicine and research. We are happy to say that Dr. Saunders will return to MOVE on January 10, 2020 to continue to explore this important topic.

An interest in treating osteoporosis

Dr. Saunders received her MD degree and completed her internal medicine residency at Ohio State University, followed by a research fellowship at Duke University. While on the faculty at Duke, she engaged in clinical work with osteoporosis. Working closely with aging patients who had their own questions about bone health and managing osteoporosis, Dr. Saunders developed a personal interest in understanding conventional and integrative approaches to this condition.

After 20 years on staff with Internal Medicine at the University of Michigan, Dr. Saunders began her own integrative primary care practice in Ann Arbor. She offers high-quality conventional medical care, diagnostics, and disease prevention bolstered by a broad understanding of integrative nutrition, energy work, manual therapy, and non-pharmacologic alternatives for the management of chronic inflammatory conditions. And when she’s not doing all of that, she’s traveling, listening to music, gardening and spending quality time with her family.

Let’s talk bone health and osteoporosis

MOVE trainer Lauren Miller has been setting the bar for our osteoporosis discussion group with one simple mantra: Move more, not less. Research shows that people with or at risk of osteoporosis should be encouraged to exercise and move more with the guidance of their physicians and movement instructors. Because overall, the benefits of physical activity far outweigh any potential risks. 

Check out this amazing resource from the Royal Osteoporosis Society. Three words: Strong, Steady, Straight.

We are thrilled that Dr. Saunders will be making a return visit to our Osteoporosis Discussion Group so we can continue the conversation we started in October. Please RSVP to join us on Friday, January 10 at 2:30 p.m. as we give a warm welcome to Dr. Saunders. We hope to see you there!

This past June, we wrapped up another round of Pilates Reformer Instructor Training at MOVE. Think an hour-long intermediate or advanced reformer class is challenging? Try back-to-back days of reformer work with a little intensive academic study mixed in!

Despite the challenge, our most recent cohort of reformer instructors jumped into their straps feet first and showcased the commitment to teaching movement that you’ve come to know and love from each and every MOVE team member.

Below are some highlights from this summer’s training.

Interested in giving Pilates a try with the support of one of these smiling, movement-obsessed faces? Get started today by signing up for an introductory session.

Already a Pilates fanatic and thinking about a career change? Check out our instructor training program and submit a contact form today!

The beauty of movement systems like Pilates is that they empower you to do more of what you love to do. And when it comes to living life to its fullest and using the power of movement to do so, there is perhaps no better spokesperson than MOVE instructor Suzanne Willets Brooks.

From dancer to movement instructor

Tell us a little bit about your background.

It includes many years of dance: modern, African, ballet, contact improvisation, and so on.  I have 15 years of teacher un-training in Yoga from Angela Farmer and Victor Vankooten, and am certified in many massage modalities from the Body Wisdom Massage Therapy School in Iowa and Green Mountain Institute of Integrative Therapy.  

Pilates, GYROTONIC® and Franklin Method®

What are you doing now?

Currently, I’m a certified level 2 Franklin Method® educator and have certifications in Pilates, GYROKINESIS® and GYROTONIC®.  What brought me to MOVE Wellness was a desire for community. I’ve worked in many different studios and this particular place really resonated with me, from the leadership of Elaine and Robin to all of the trainers and the clients.

What is something people might be surprised to know about you?

I am not sure that any one would be surprised by anything about me. I’ve had a colorful existence filled with many experiences from the subtle to the profound. To me, life is a thing to be experienced in all levels of intensity.

What attracted you to Pilates?

What I love about Pilates is that it is so accessible … for everyone. It’s a system with a long history of great results.  I also love how our understanding and applications of it have evolved as we continue to learn more about the human body. It’s a movement language that keeps growing.

What is one piece of advice you would offer to someone trying Pilates for the first time?

For someone just beginning, I would say this system is truly a mind-body system. It’s about experiencing the whole body, and how its parts work together. It involves kindness and listening, as well as sweating and pushing yourself. Have fun, enjoy the process and be patient with yourself.

We need to take responsibility for our bodies. This is your car, you’re behind the wheel.

Nature, Creativity and Freedom for our bodies

What inspires you?

Inspiration comes to me from so many sources. Nature for one: its creativity and variety. I’m inspired by both the mind and the heart, and the journey in how we create ourselves. I’m inspired by the mundane in our everyday lives, and I’m always faithful in what unfolds. I’m inspired by our humanity and the stories that shape us.

What values speak to you?

Freedom, nature and creativity are big ones for me. I want to be free to allow things to be what they are, see things as they are. The mind causes us to narrow and focus in so often, rather than opening up and seeing. I need freedom to be open and creative.  

For me, nature is freedom. Everything there has its balance, and it also makes me feel like I don’t have to be responsible for everything. I can just be part of it.

Safe, service-oriented exercise and training

What do you love about teaching movement?

I’ve always been very service-oriented. In dance, I always found myself gravitating toward some of the people behind me that were struggling. Many moons ago, I was a landscaper, and I’ve always loved helping things survive, thrive and look beautiful.

Working with people who want to co-create with me is what this is about. I want clients to be willing to invest in themselves. If your goal is simply to have a booty that you can bounce quarters off, that’s not really my thing. Yes, we can do glute work, but I want you to understand what we’re doing and why. In my opinion, things should feel great first. And looking great is the happy result of feeling great. People come to MOVE with vulnerable selves and they need to feel safe and free of judgment. My clients want to me to be passionate, and I want my clients to be at home in their bodies.

Franklin Method and fascial movement

Tell us a little about the fascial movement class you teach.

The Franklin Method® has revolutionized the way I look at movement. Unlike many other movement systems, it’s not based on choreography, but in the science of how our bodies work and function. This method is very much about you becoming the author of your experience and it’s wonderfully student-centered. Efficiency is one of the catchwords for the Franklin Method. Our bodies are incredibly efficient.

The fascial movement class is both a workout and an education in how our bodies work. Our posture, for example, is dynamic not static. This method teaches us to enjoy and trust the intelligent design of the body.  Each class can stands on its own and can benefit someone who comes just for that one time. But it can also be part of a bigger experience in understanding how our bones, muscles, fascia and organs support movement.

Ultimately, what we practice in the class becomes permanent. Standing, sitting,  walking, breathing. We’re creating a baseline for these critical functions of everyday life. This is truly a mind-body class where the balls and bands we use reinforce the experience of efficient movement, and leave you feeling more centered, calm and ready to tackle your day.

Fun and inspiration from a movement instructor

What’s your favorite way to exercise?

I love riding my bike and roller blading. Everything I do has to have some component of enjoyment. When I was younger, I ran cross-country, but I think I was working out a lot of stuff.

What’s your favorite food?

Anything that includes avocados, garlic and tomatoes, and maybe some hand made tortilla chips.

If you could offer some words of wisdom, what would they be?

I recommend more laughter, more playing and less structure. More receptivity, less doing.  I recommend clearing out large swaths of your day to enjoy the sunlight and the people who surround you. Life is to be lived, embrace yourself with all of your perceived flaws. You only get this one precious moment. So, go enjoy it.

Ready to embrace the beautiful efficiency and potential of your body with Suzanne? Learn more about private Pilates or GYROTONIC training at MOVE or sign up for Suzanne’s fascial movement class or GYROKINESIS® classes.

Practical and profound. Two words that immediately come to mind when you sit down and have a conversation with MOVE instructor Laura Tyson. From the authenticity and professionalism she brings to her practice to her everyday celebration of movement and life, Laura is one of the many people who makes MOVE the special place that it is.

From wildlife researcher and powerlifter to Pilates trainer

Tell us a little bit about yourself and your background.

I grew up on a farm in Monroe City, Missouri, taking dance lessons and doing gymnastics throughout my childhood. In college, I majored in Fisheries and Wildlife, becoming a wildlife research technician and working in that field for 20 years. My research project work included Missouri muskrats, Canadian geese, Ohio gulls and deer and Illinois wood ducks!

Afterwords, I shifted careers and became an American College of Sports Medicne (ACSM) personal trainer. And in 2017, my husband and I and our three boys moved from Ohio to Michigan.

What is something people might be surprised to know about you?

I placed second in the Women’s National Collegiate Powerlifting Championship in 1987!

Pilates provides efficiency and independence

What drew you to Pilates?

The structure of the movement is what I love. With Pilates, every part of your body is engaged as you progress through movements, becoming stronger and more flexible while engaging the proper sequence of muscles at the proper time. All of this allows you to live and move smoothly and without injury.

Pilates is SO efficient. It helps people become more independent. It’s something that I can easily teach people and confidently tell them, “You can do this at home!”

We’re so unaware of our bodies much of the time and we live in this sort of blame-filled society when it comes to our bodies and our health. I love helping people who come looking for answers on how to move better. My motto is, “If you like it and it’s enjoyable, you’ll do it again.”

I excelled at powerlifting, but it didn’t really make me happy. I love getting outside. I want to ride my bike, I want to walk, I want to garden. Pilates helps me do that.

Advice for Pilates beginners

What is one piece of advice you would give to someone trying Pilates for the first time?

Find someone knowledgeable to teach you the basics first. Pilates can be overwhelming in a class situation (especially classes that are too large) if you’re not familiar with this type of movement. And if you’re not taking the time to learn the exercises correctly, you won’t realize the benefits. Get the basics down with private training and then build your repertoire with small classes. You’ll be amazed at what your body can do.

I don’t have the same body I had when I was 20. And I won’t have the body I have now when I’m 80. You work with the body that you have.

Fun and inspiration from a Pilates instructor

What is your current favorite Pilates exercise?

Airplane on the Cadillac!

What is your favorite food?

Cheesecake.

What is one conversation past or present that you’d love to eavesdrop on?

Any conversation between my kids when I’m not around!

If you could offer some words of wisdom, what would they be?

Go outside. Go barefoot. Move like your body was intended to move.

Amen, Laura!

Ready to discover the beautiful efficiency and independence that Pilates can bring to your life? Learn more about our private training sessions with instructors like Laura.

You can also find Laura on Facebook at Laura Tyson Body Basics!

Being part of a continuum of care network in and around our Ann Arbor community is an essential part of the wellness experience we provide at MOVE. And we are so grateful for partners like the healthcare professionals at IHA who are committed to providing people with opportunities to have open discussions about their health.

A special women’s health series event on menopause

On Tuesday, May 14, MOVE and IHA are co-sponsoring a free event at MOVE Wellness in Ann Arbor focused on managing menopause. To help frame our conversation for that evening, two of the event’s speakers offer their initial thoughts on menopause and sexual health, and their connection to overall wellness. Event details can be found below as well.

Common myths and misconceptions about menopause

Having open conversations about powerful phases of our lives is important to us at MOVE. There are so many women’s issues that simply don’t get afforded the time and honest treatment they deserve. Being able to have in-depth discussions about issues like menopause is empowering. It helps women care for themselves and live healthier, happier lives.

A conversation with Elaine and Bridget

ELAINE

Menopause is a remarkably profound phase of life for women. For many, it coincides with children leaving home and the fundamental effect that has on our identity. It’s also characterized by reflection and can lead to more substantive considerations of our quality of life.

Dr. Long, what are four or five of the biggest misconceptions or myths about menopause that you see or hear regularly?

BRIDGET

First and foremost, that life will never be the same and that menopause is something to dread. And that’s underscored by additional misconceptions such as “my sex life is over” and “it’s too late to get healthy or lose weight.” Many women also believe that prescription hormone replacements are dangerous, which isn’t the case, and meanwhile ignore abnormal uterine bleeding during menopause when they should be having it evaluated.

All of these myths can cause harm to women because they can lead to a range of health issues including depression, fatigue, osteoporosis, cardiac disease and even cancer in some cases.

ELAINE

How individual of an experience is menopause for each woman?

BRIDGET

Although many symptoms are commonly shared, menopause is a completely unique experience for each woman.

Increasing strength and health during and after menopause

ELAINE

In my 20 years as a trainer, I’ve seen countless women at age 50 or older get as strong as they’ve ever been in their lives through Pilates and GYROTONIC®.  Every one of them wished they had started ten years earlier because of the powerful impact on their fitness and strength. So, I’ve seen firsthand the misconception that you can’t be fit and healthy after this phase of your life proven wrong.

We have female and male clients we train with who are in their 50s, 60s, and 70s and even some at 80 or 90 who have been working with us for 10 years, many of whom feel as fit as they’ve ever been in their lives. And it’s such a gift for our team to be a part of that experience.

Do you have a specific example of a patient you’ve worked with who successfully moved past one of those misconceptions about menopause and how she did it?  

BRIDGET

I specifically remember a delightful patient in her late 50s who was moderately overweight and had a family history of osteoporosis. Her bone density showed significant osteopenia, which is bone loss. After extensive counseling regarding her life risk of cardiovascular disease and bone fracture, both of which had the potential to limit her independence, she chose to join a gym and work with a trainer who designed a program customized for her needs. She presented to my office a year later and told me she felt like her life had been saved. She realized that what she ate and what she did had major impacts during menopause.

She was happy she’d lost weight, but mostly she was happy about being strong. She was really enjoying life as she headed into her 60s, maybe more than ever before.

Overcoming the stigma and fear of menopause

ELAINE

“Menopause” can be such a loaded word. Do you find that the word itself is a stumbling block for women? Do you ever find yourself working to help women redefine the word? Or do you find yourself steering them toward a different word or phrase entirely like “sexual health”?

BRIDGET

From what I’ve seen, the word sparks dread in women. I try to explain to them that menopause is simply a life phase – much like puberty. It can be miserable, or it can be empowering if you embrace it and take control of it.

Menopause is a time in life, perhaps more than any other,  when you “reap what you sow.” If you prioritize a healthy lifestyle, the benefits are significant. If you don’t, the problems can be exponential.

Managing menopause with family members

ELAINE

As a woman married to a man living in a house with my three sons, I’ve worked hard to help them understand the various cycles and phases in a woman’s life so that they might be in touch with any of their own life transitions.  And it isn’t easy. Because the cultural pressure to qualify what being a woman is or isn’t or should or shouldn’t be is complicated. But I keep it simple and try to share the biochemistry of the process to help normalize conversations and topics.  

Can you talk a little bit about the role of family for women experiencing menopause, particularly when it comes to any men in our lives?

BRIDGET

Relationships, particularly with a partner during menopause, require a lot of communication. It’s challenging, and I find that women often just give up. I feel that having the opportunity for open communication with their physician and realizing there are options to ease this transition can be life-changing. Intimacy is important and can make for a happier life, but I always tell my patients that they can define that intimacy with their partner. And it’s not the same for everyone.

The role of community in aging and menopause

ELAINE

How important do you think having access to a supportive community is for women experiencing menopause?

BRIDGET

It’s incredibly important. There is power in numbers, and opportunities to learn from one another.  It makes us realize that we’re normal.

ELAINE

I completely agree. Connecting with other supportive and accepting women helps in so many ways. And I believe that building a supportive community around fitness can help with accountability and troubleshooting. We love watching women support each other in classes as they move deeper into the Pilates repertoire. We regularly hear them say that they’re doing things they never thought they could do.

The relationship between sexual health and physical activity

Can you talk a bit about the relationship between women’s sexual health as they age and physical activity? What are the benefits of movement for women experiencing various symptoms and challenges related to menopause?

BRIDGET

There’s a direct relationship between physical activity and sexual health. The endorphins make us feel good, and exercise makes us feel good about ourselves. Women are complex, especially when it comes to sex drive. We need to feel “sexy” and good about ourselves.

ELAINE

Agreed. Our mission is to help people move their bodies in ways that they enjoy so that they can lead a life they love. Research shows that we commit to those healthy behaviors that we enjoy and that make us feel good.

This has impacted me personally. Feeling strong and moving my body in ways I enjoy, rather than how I feel I “should” has impacted how I feel about myself overall. It feels a bit like shedding a skin, leaving behind the pressure to conform. It’s wonderful to experience what we’re always working to help other women feel at MOVE. What a gift.

What movement instructors and trainers can do to help during menopause

ELAINE

Do you have any advice for movement instructors working with women experiencing the symptoms of menopause? What can movement professionals do to better support clients in this space?

BRIDGET

I think as our bodies transition through menopause, movement that focuses on core muscle retention and flexibility is most important for maintaining our health and feeling good. Keeping our pelvic floors strong and working to maintain abdomen and back muscles are super important.

ELAINE

Right, and from the training perspective, there are clear dos and don’ts which is why working with instructors and trainers with a deep knowledge of the body and these issues is so important. For example, many people are afraid to exercise after menopause if they’ve received an osteoporosis diagnosis. But with proper, safe training, you can actually mitigate further bone loss.

Demystifying pelvic floor health and the role of Pilates and GYROTONIC® method

ELAINE

What’s one thing you wish everyone knew about pelvic floor health?  

BRIDGET

It requires maintenance like any other set of muscles in your body. You must exercise it to maintain its strength.  

ELAINE

I couldn’t agree more. Pelvic floor health is important, and often misunderstood in everyday practice. Especially because each woman’s body and how she carries it is unique. Many women do a ton of kegel exercises, which could help in particular instances, but could also cause more of a problem in others. As Pilates and GYROTONIC® instructors, we work to help women at all stages of life understand how to care for their pelvic floors in a more organic way. Improper training can lead to low back pain, SI joint instability and other issues.

What are some of the other resources available to women experiencing sexual health challenges that you’d like to see more people take advantage of?

BRIDGET

IHA has started a new genitourinary syndrome of menopause (GSM) program that I feel is incredibly innovative in its approach to managing sexual health during menopause. Our consultants will discuss symptoms, causes and management of sexual problems in menopause with patients.

ELAINE

That’s actually great to hear. Quite often we hear women (who may not have even mentioned incontinence when they started working with us) say after a few weeks or months of training that they no longer “sneeze and pee.” Which is a funny diagnostic, but also a very pragmatic one.  Pilates and GYROTONIC® help with this because they focus on organizing breathing and spinal movement to support core training.

Why is tackling this particular topic important to you personally?

BRIDGET

I am now a menopausal woman. Life is short, and I want to enjoy every day of it!

ELAINE

Yes! As a woman experiencing perimenopause, I feel like the last year has brought a wave of new physical experiences and symptoms, many of them surprises, and all of which have made it necessary for me to stop and reevaluate the “why” behind my own fitness and movement.

If you could provide women with one simple takeaway about menopause and their sexual health, what would it be?  

BRIDGET

That there is help! Managing the symptoms requires work, but the rewards are well worth it.

The healing power of movement

By working toward a healthy relationship with their bodies, women can move through menopause with the strength and knowledge they need to care for themselves and celebrate the power and beauty in their bodies during this unique phase of life.

It’s also important to remember that slow and steady wins the race for healthy behaviors and a joyful life. Moving slowly and intentionally as we take steps to move more, eat well and love our bodies for all that they’ve done for us is foundational … at any stage of life.

We hope you’ll join us for this very special evening of honest conversation, empowerment and perhaps even enlightenment.

Managing Menopause: Improving Your Sexual Health

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

6 p.m. – Wine & hors d’oeuvres, 6:30 – 9 p.m. – Presentation

Location: MOVE Wellness Studios, 3780 Jackson Rd., Ann Arbor, Michigan

Speakers:

Elaine Economou, MOVE Wellness co-founder and CEO

Jody Jones, MD, IHA Canton Obstetrics & Gynecology

G. Bridget Long, MD, IHA Associates in Gynecology & Obstetrics – West Arbor

Lisa Morris, MD, IHA Associates in Gynecology & Obstetrics – Arbor Park & Brighton

Topics: Vaginal pain with intercourse, vaginal atrophy, MonaLisa Touch® treatments, pelvic floor dysfunction, mindfulness and breathing exercises

Register for the event today.

Interested in learning more about how MOVE can help you start your own health and wellness journey through movement? Sign up for an introductory package today or contact us at 734-761-2306 or office@movewellness.com.

This week, we meet GYROTONIC® trainer and former client Mary Falcon. In retirement, Mary stays flexible, healthy, and mobile and supports her clients to do the same. She chats about her initial hesitancy to try GYROTONIC® which quickly transformed into an obsession, and shares some tidbits about her life.

Introduce yourself. What is your background? What brought you to MOVE?

My name is Mary Falcon. I have worked for the VA for much of my career, most recently in the field of patient safety. It was a rewarding career with the best mission in the world; serving those who served for us.

I came to MOVE as a client with my youngest daughter. We had taken Pilates at a studio across town but it wasn’t convenient after I moved to Dexter.  From the moment we first met Elaine and Robin and they shared their story about starting Move, we knew we found a good fit.

What is something people would be surprised to know about you?

I’m not sure if people would be surprised that I have a 47-year old daughter, but it SHOCKS me.  

What about GYROTONIC® appeals to you? Why are you drawn to this movement system in particular?

When Robin suggested that my daughter and I try GYROTONIC®, I was a little hesitant.  I love Pilates and the way it helped strengthen and lengthen my body, so I was concerned about trying something new. I’m not very coordinated so it’s always a bit intimidating, but after the first GYROTONIC® session we were hooked! Sitting behind a desk for 40+ years, this form of movement was exactly what my body needed; it felt expansive and opening.  It was then that I knew “what I wanted to be when I grew up.” I wanted to be able to provide this movement to others in my age group who perhaps lived behind a desk as I did and were as limited in their movement as I was. So I became a GYROTONIC® instructor when I retired from the VA.

What is one piece of advice you’d give to someone just starting GYROTONIC®?

I would suggest they just feel the movement and not get caught up in concepts at first because it all begins to make sense to the body after a couple of sessions.

What are you inspired by?

People and their stories.

What is your favorite exercise?  

The Arch and Curl Series with the handles in GYROTONIC®. It’s so opening.

“This form of movement was exactly what my body needed.” – Mary

Fun Stuff

What is your favorite food?  

Guacamole, but of course you need chips with that.

What is one conversation in history or now on which you’d like to eavesdrop?

Any of the conversations with our Founding Fathers. I’ve always been in awe of the minds that formed this nation.

Give us a recommendation. Can be anything.  

SMILE and of course MOVE.

Stephanie Oldre is a Pilates teacher at MOVE, but prior to that, she was a former Payroll and Benefits manager. She’d never given Pilates much thought until she found herself wanting to spend more time with her kids and less time sitting behind a desk.

We hope her story below will inspire you to MOVE more too.

From Desk Job to Teaching Pilates

About 7 years ago, when I first started taking Pilates classes at a local gym, my instructor told me that she thought I would make a fantastic Pilates Instructor. I quickly fell in love with Pilates but never gave teaching Pilates any serious thought. Until a few years later when I found myself quite unhappy in my profession and with a desire to work part time to allow for more time at home with my children. What she had said to me had always stayed in the back if my mind (and she had encouraged me a few more times to look into it). So when I finally decided it was time to make a change, I went to her and told her that she was right and I am ready. She put me in touch with Elaine at MOVE and my life hasn’t been the same since.

I had no idea what incredible things were in store for me or what exactly I was signing up for but it was one the best decisions I’ve ever made. I’ve found where I belong and what I was meant to do.

STEPHANIE OLDRE, MOVE Pilates Trainer

Pilates is for Everyone

I think people might be surprised to know that I did not come from a movement background and  that I haven’t always been fit. During my first pregnancy I got up to 208 lbs. Measuring in at 5’3, that was quite overweight. After giving birth, I had only lost about 23 lbs leaving me still overweight at 185 lbs. It has taken a lot of work and dedication to get to where I am now and I am quite proud of what I’ve accomplished. Pilates has been a big part of my fitness journey and made such a tremendous difference in my life.

I also have Fibromyalgia and Narcolepsy. Pilates has helped tremendously with my symptoms and allowed me to still enjoy my everyday life.

The thing that has drawn me to Pilates is seeing the difference that it can make in lives and that it can be for EVERYBODY. I love how versatile it is and how it can improve anyone’s life at any level. Also, I had been a weightlifter before finding Pilates. In my years of weightlifting I had never had strong abs until I started doing Pilates. I love having abs!

Advice for Aspiring Pilates Teachers or Practitioners

If you’re thinking about Pilates, here’s one piece of advice: just keep doing it. Pilates is a journey and everyone’s journey is different. You will learn experientially and you will have many “’Aha!’ moments” along the way. As long as you don’t give up.

I’m inspired by change. As a Pilates teacher, seeing positive changes in the bodies and lives of my clients is so rewarding. Hearing their feedback and testimonials fuels me.

Favorite exercise

Such a hard choice! I love the side leg series on the mat and hip rolls.

Stephanie Oldre is a Pilates Trainer at MOVE Wellness Studios. If you have any questions or would like to book a session with her, email office@movewellness.com or call 734.761.2306.

ANN ARBOR – MOVE Trainer Sammy Hart talks about her Yoga origins and how mindful movement like Yoga and Pilates can create a path towards a profoundly simple human experience. Read about Sammy below or schedule a session with her today!

Introduce yourself.

My full name is Samantha Lynn Hart, and I’m originally from Toronto but have been in Michigan for about 5 years now which is kind of crazy. I love nature and travel, combining the two frequently throughout the past years with many road trips around the US, Canada, and New Zealand last year. I’m a voracious reader and love to cook. I’ve been a movement teacher since 2012, and it’s been a never ending journey of studentship since then.

It’s funny, people will ask me where I got my certification from and I don’t know what to say because it’s such a long winded answer with so many outlets and avenues. I think if you’re in this work there’s a baseline of education but then sky’s the limit to what we learn. Most recently, I obtained a certificate for Yoga for Scoliosis Part 1. Part 2 is in the works, which is pretty great considering I live with someone with scoliosis and can help him a little bit more now.   

Why is movement important to you?

Movement is necessary for me. I would be such a jerk without it, and I move for so many reasons but the simple answer is I feel better when I do. That doesn’t mean I do a 90-minute yoga practice every day, but I do try to move daily, which might entail a walk in Bird Hills with Rach, a class with Angela, or a sweaty weight lifting session.

I try – and try is the keyword – to move in a way that feels right for my body on that particular day, and every day is different. I also want my life to be an adventure, and I think health and wellness are pretty necessary for that to happen.

What is it about the mindfulness element of movement that is powerful?

There is something to movement with breath and I think that’s why I am drawn to mindful movement. It’s one thing to go to the gym and run for miles, weight lift, or even to take a class at MOVE, but it’s always the question of how much are you present for? And how much of it are you feeling? Are you listening to your body? I think mindful movement gives us an opportunity to truly be with our bodies and I think that’s such a rare gift to give ourselves. At least for me it is.

I’ve always been an active person. I remember doing those old-school workout videos with my mom when I was younger, and I ran for a lot of my life but yoga was the first form of movement that left me feeling so much more.

Guiding is something you do daily, whether that is teaching clients individually, classes, at workshops, or through the use of social media. Do you notice any larger lessons that often arise?

Every situation of teaching is so different. When I’m with clients, it’s just so individual.  In a class, I’m hoping for connection. With workshops, I’m just trying to keep my anxiety in check and teach mindful movement, but I think a common theme with anything I do is that you feel good, feel connected, feel strong, feel.

What inspires you?

Ai, inspiration. Well, I’ll forever be inspired by my teacher YuMee Chung because she continues to raise the bar on what it means to be not just a good teacher but a good human.  Currently, I’m inspired with eastern medicine and its application into western medicine. I’m inspired by those who live their dreams. MOVE inspires me. I’m surrounded by pretty powerful woman, and that’s inspiring.

“Feel connected, feel strong, feel.”

Sammy Hart is a Yoga and Pilates instructor at MOVE Wellness in Ann Arbor, MI. To contact Sammy or book a session with her, email office@movewellness.com or call 734.761.2306.