Journey to Pilates

We love spotlighting our trainers’ unique journeys to becoming Pilates Instructors because we know that no matter who you are, incorporating Pilates into your workout routine can be beneficial.

Prior to MOVE, Fitness Instructor Sara Schuman used to teach college Philosophy. After a visit to her doctor in 2012, she decided to prioritize her wellness and discovered many fitness options to keep herself engaged and motivated. Since then, she has lost over 50 pounds, become a Pilates Instructor, HIIT, Barre, and certified American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Group Fitness Instructor, and redefined wellness for herself.

“To me, wellness means flourishing in any given environment,” Sara says. “Things change, our bodies change, our goals change, so being able to make the most out of whatever situation we find ourselves in at the moment is what I take to be wellness. I’m inspired by hearing and seeing the progress of others. Everyone has a story about their journey. We can learn so much from each other if we are willing to share and listen.”

Becoming a Pilates Instructor

Sara became interested in Pilates as a career because of Pilates’ functionality and ability to heal. Pilates “helped with a lot of back issues and shoulder issues,” and “help her be upright.” After completing the MOVE Instructor Training Program, Sara wanted to share the power of rehabilitative movement with others.

“I am able to do things I wasn’t able to do about 4-5 years ago,” Sara says.

Wanting to share the benefits of Pilates with those who have been injured or limited in their mobility, Sara also became involved with the MOVE Transition Program. In the Transition Program, Sara teaches Balance Classes for populations who cannot get on the ground and trains clients privately who need individualized support in reaching their health goals.

Come try a session with Sara today!

“I am able to do things I wasn’t able to do 4-5 years ago.”

Sarah Schuman is a Pilates instructor and group fitness instructor at MOVE Wellness. Schedule an appointment with her today! Please contact the studio at 734.761.2306 or office@movewellness.com for more information.

Elaine Economou, President and CEO of a bustling Ann Arbor fitness studio, sat down with Tara Kachaturoff, the creator and host of Michigan Entrepreneur. For a decade, Michigan Entrepreneur has spotlighted entrepreneurs as part of an effort to bring awareness to exciting and dynamic businesses across Michigan.

In this interview, Elaine talks origins with partner Robin Krienke, the business of joy, and some of the tough questions they’ve had to ask as they approach MOVE’s five-year anniversary.

“When it gets uncomfortable, you’re getting close to something you need to understand about yourself.”
Elaine Economou on Michigan Entrepreneur TV

Watch the video below:

Elaine Economou, MOVE's CEO and President sits down with Michigan Entrepreneur TV to talk about running a successful fitness studio  

Click above to watch

Meet Silvia, physical therapist from Costa Rica and our newest GYROTONIC® Trainer. Silvia shows us below how movement really is medicine and how important it is to slow down.

“One of the best things about GYROTONIC® is the awareness of the whole body connection.”

Introduce yourself. Where are you from? What is your background/interests?

I’m from Costa Rica, I’m a physical therapist, I worked for almost 10 years as a PT and manager of a private clinic in Costa Rica. We had all kinds of injuries in the clinic, at all ages.

How does the fitness industry differ in Costa Rica from the mainland United States?

I think that here in Michigan more old elderly people go to the gym and in Costa Rica is the opposite, younger people exercise. I don’t have an explanation for that, but I think it is important that throughout life continue to move forward and do different things, not just exercise during your youth to be beautiful, or exercise during your old age to be healthy. Exercise is something that everyone needs as a routine in their lives.  

Obviously as a physical therapist, you are very informed about the human body. When you decided to do Gyrotonic, did you learn anything about the human body you didn’t know before? Did anything surprise or shock you?

One of the best things about GYROTONIC® is the awareness of the whole body connection.

My favorite thing – and the biggest surprise – was what we call the narrowing sequence.

Only good things are going to happen, only good things are going to be talked, and only good things your body will receive

What sparked your interest in the GYROTONIC EXPANSION SYSTEM®? What do you most love about it? What do you find most challenging about it?

The amazing feeling when you finish your session, the way you feel is really good because you work your body, breath, and your mind at the same time. I really love the structure of the System and one of the good things is that everyone can practice GYROTONIC®, people with injuries, elderly people, young people, athletes, dancers, etc, will have many benefits.

The biggest challenge is to continue studying and learning the use of all devices and new techniques.

What can clients expect in a session with you?

The most important thing for me is that the client feels good during the session. During that time only good things are going to happen, only good things are going to be talked, and only good things your body will receive. Because we live in accelerated world, it’s really important to have this kind of rest during life. In a session with me, we are going to let the body and mind “rest” from the great wave of duties for a while, perceiving benefits in a physical and in a mental level.

What inspires you?

My husband and my family inspire me to be a better person and a better professional. Helping people feel better, look better and be more independent is something really valuable to me.

Favorite exercise

Gyrotonic, Zumba, walks

Favorite healthy meal

Quinoa salads with all kind of veggies!

Part of our Meet the Movers series. 

Pilates trainer, Sarah Cohen started her career in Silicon Valley but eventually found herself becoming a Pilates instructor, and she never looked back. In her interview, you can witness Sarah’s characteristic determination that MOVE clients love about her. Learn about her Pilates career journey below!

Sarah, it has been awesome seeing you progress in your Pilates career. How did it all start?

When my youngest child started high school, it was time for me to start looking around for what I was going to do with the rest of my life.  I was terrified that if I didn’t start trying to figure out the next steps in my life before he left for college, I might not ever figure out what I was supposed to be doing.  So I went back to work for a small software company here in Ann Arbor…But now sitting all day looking at a screen made me really unhappy. I knew it had to be something else.

Then came her first Reformer Class at MOVE

Then I came to MOVE and when I stood up at the end of class, I couldn’t believe how great I felt…When I got up from the reformer, my body didn’t feel beat up like in so many other activities, I felt ready to conquer the rest of my day. I took another class a few days later and it was light bulb moment for me… this is what I would really like to do.  It turned out MOVE President Elaine Economou was about to start her Instructor Training Program.  How lucky am I?!?!?  The rest is history.

What about Pilates motivates you to keep consuming more and more?

I had some very specific goals of where I wanted to be in my Pilates career before I turned 50.  As a Pilates instructor, I was able to accomplish those goals and then some. The method of Pilates is so deep and rich and so many of the Leaders in the field have their own take on things. There is so much to learn within Pilates that I feel I might not ever ‘master’ all the movements.  The imposter syndrome is real.

With a Pilates Career also comes a Community

I am loving where I am right now for sure.  I appreciate the path that I am on. Being a new empty nester means it is awfully quiet around the house.  I love coming to the studio and seeing everyone there. MOVE is such wonderfully supportive place to work and I get to share the transformative method of Pilates.  Who could ask for more??

For aspiring instructors, Sarah offers this as advice:

Just know that we are all doing good work here.  That is what I keep telling myself and what I do believe deep down. The biggest lesson that I am learning over and over again is that we all need to be kind and patient with ourselves.  Breathe in and breathe out.

Book an appointment with her now!

We congratulate MOVE Trainer Angela Sutcliffe on recently becoming a senior trainer! Macarons, music, and movement are some things that come to clients’ minds when they get to know Angela. Meet her below!

• Angela, it is been awesome seeing your progress in your Pilates/Gyrotonic journey. How did it all start?  I first started doing Pilates in college at Wayne State University. It was required that all dance majors take both Pilates Mat and Reformer because the program believed it was the best way to keep our bodies healthy. I felt changes in my body immediately and knew I needed to do more. I eneded up receiving a scholarship to become an instructor and since then it has spiraled (pun-intended) into what I’m doing today!
  • It is not uncommon for trainers to train on the side, as a weekend gig, and/or teach group classes solely, but you have clearly dedicated yourself to movement as a career, first with Pilates and then with Gyrotonic. What about this profession motivates you to keep consuming more and more? Movement, anything about it (teaching, doing, watching, learning)- it makes me feel whole. I teach Pilates and Gyrotonic but I make it a practice to move every day in any way I can. I want to share the joy I have for movement with others and help them find the freedom of movement that can exist in their body. 
  • When you’re not at the studio, where are you?  I’m never not at the studio! Just kidding, I do go home some nights! I love home because for the first time since high school I have lived in the same place for more than a year. In that time I have been able to make it feel really comfy, calming and charming with my evolving interior decorating skills. I also love trying new recipes. My favorite thing to make these days are macarons! 
  • Where is your favorite place? White Hall, Illinois. Population 2,000. There’s one stop light, an old park with a couple of benches where I spend warm summer days journaling, a little white church that only got indoor plumbing in the last 15 years and a Kroger that is about the size of the group room at MOVE. Most importantly though there’s my Grandpa, the most wholesome, warmest, courageous and kindest heart you will ever meet. He will tell you he loves me more but that is false and he knows it. We have this discussion every time we talk on the phone. 
  • Give us an album recommendation. 

Okay here’s 7 🙂

• Golden Hour Kacey Musgraves 
  • Off to the Races Jukebox the Ghost 
  • Feels Like Today Rascal Flatts
  • Unapologetically Kelsea Ballerini
  • Dan + Shay Dan + Shay
  • The Blade Ashley Monroe
  • Is Anybody Out There A Great Big World 

What is something that people would be surprised to learn about you? I have 7 nieces and nephews ranging from ages 4-21! I have been Auntie Angela since I was four years old and its my favorite thing to be! They make my life full and entertaining! 

Book a session with Angela and our other lovely trainers here.

Last week, we joined yoga trainer Shannon Walter in a conversation about yoga nidra. This week, we’re diving into how yoga nidra actually feels. What can you can expect from a class? And more!

L: in the video I watched, Dr. Desai says, “yoga nidra gives us the space to choose our reactions to our thoughts.” And I thought that was really beautiful because that concept seems like it’s not only fundamental to yoga– that mindfulness aspect–but yoga nidra seems like a mindfulness on steroi

S: Well it is. There’s this piece about witnessing. You’re not your thoughts. You’re not your ego. You are the witness of those things. You can detach from it. And in yoga in general the philosophy of it is “You’re not your body. Your body is an aspect of your existence.” For most people, they think, this body is me. But yoga nidra is saying, it’s not you. There’s this self that actually we’re all a part. So it’s like how do you get beyond that? It could be that consciousness or that quiet.

L: When I was listening to that I thought about how when I’m driving and someone makes me mad. That would be a great practical moment to have a tool like this  Or when you hear really bad news. You can step back and you’re like, “Okay this how I’m feeling; this is how I’m going to choose to react.”

S: Right! I totally understand that some people may be put off and think oh that’s kooky yoga stuff. But It’s actually a tool that can relax people.

L: Yeah I’ve heard it’s been used for PTSD patients. And I’m sure with mental illness in general it can be beneficial.

S: I would not be surprised.

L: How do you teach yoga nidra and what can we expect from your class?

S: I teach it from my heart! I think it’s a beautiful practice, and hopefully you can expect find a little bit of peace and maybe a little bit more quiet. A little decompression.

L: How long is it?

S: It can be five minutes. In the workshop we’re gonna do stretching because you need your body to be a little bit quiet to take energy inside. The practice itself will be about 40 to 45 minutes. But there’s long pauses. There’s a lot of quiet time.

L: So it can be five minutes?

You’re basically taking components. You can take one component and do that. Focusing on the breathe. Counting from 27 to 1 as you inhale and exhale.

L: With practice, going from that place of big to small, do you get faster the more you do it, or is it always a step-by-step process?

S: It can be anything. Like working out, do you want to have an hour long workout or do you want a 15 minute workout?

L: Ah, I understand. Is there music?
S: Noo. No you don’t want anything. The only sensory input you want is the instructor guiding you. You don’t want candles. You don’t want light. You don’t want music. It’s like single pointed concentration.

L: Do you reach a point where you feel like you’re floating? 

S: There might be a weightlessness. It’s a less of a connection to your body. One thing I love about yoga. Yoga is very systematic practice. And yoga nidra is a very systematic practice for relation and quieting the mind.

Everyone tells us “You need to relax! You need to de-stress.” Okay, well how do I do that?

MOVE member Lorena sat down with yoga nidra practitioner and instructor Shannon Walter for a conversation about yoga nidra benefits and ways in which beginners can get involved. Shannon teaches yoga nidra as a specialty class at MOVEWe’re excited to bring you yoga nidra, because in addition to Pilates and GYROTONIC®, which encourage mindfulness in the physical sense, yoga nidra brings you even deeper emotional and physiological awareness.

“If you feel stress, join us.” – Elaine Economou, MOVE Wellness Owner 

L: I watched a video from Amrit Yoga in which Dr. Kamini Desai talks about yoga nidra as being “emptying progressively contents of the mind” She says, unlike in meditation where you are aiming for awareness, in yoga nidra, “you are awareness yourself.” Does this resonate with you?

S: So yoga nidra is basically a systematic practice to release tension and stress from the body, the body, and the emotions. Like in layers, it goes from large (physical), then you work on the breathe, which is more subtle, and then you go into visualization. It’s a progression. It’s going from macro to micro.

L: Talk more on “being awareness itself”

S: Way back when yoga nidra was created as a system to explore those levels of consciousness to find self-realization, which is a key aspect of the yoga practice… but it is a great tool just for stress relief. For going to sleep.

L: Well I think that’s really powerful because for beginners…we can be hesitant to try these things. You hear ‘meditation’ and some think ‘okay that’s for yogis or zen people. I can’t do that… I don’t have time do that.” So is yoga nidra something even beginners can jump right into?

S: 100%! You can do it in 5-10 minutes. You can take it as a break at work. It’s just tools.

L: I was reading that yoga nidra is “sleep-based.” Is it similar to sleep?

S: Basically even when you sleep, except for the very deep sleep, your mind is still churning. So with the progression you get to a point where your mind isn’t really churning anymore. You’re quiet.

L: The restorative aspect of yoga nidra – is that the aim to get to this space?

S: I would say, you are systematically quieting your system. Instead of everything going out you’re turning everything in and quieting. And when you’re in that quiet place, if there is something you want to affirm or incorporate in your life, you’re in a prime position to be able to fully receive that thing.

Click here for part 2!

Meet Sammy Hart, Our Newest Pilates Graduate

You may recognize Sammy – she’s been teaching yoga at MOVE Wellness for more than three years. She has recently expanded her movement knowledge even further by taking the MOVE Pilates Instructor Training course, and is now a MOVE Pilates Trainer. Find out more about Sammy below!
“I’ve been at MOVE for about 3.5 years and have been teaching yoga for 6. This past year I took a bit of a hiatus to go traveling with my husband which was more amazing than any photo could capture. Returning back to Ann Arbor I find myself once again in the role of student as I finish up my Pilates Reformer course. Pilates has both humbled and inspired me as a movement educator, and I look forward to teaching it. I am curious by nature and find myself in constant studentship whether that’s diving deeper into yoga and pilates, or different modalities of movement. I am fiercely independent, love to travel, eat, and drink good wine… it’s all about balance.”
  CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment with Sammy.

Get to know Nicholas Stanko, co-owner of the Ann Arbor Running Company. We are excited that Nick and the Ann Arbor Running Company will be joining MOVE and other local vendors for our annual community event, Wine and Wellness on August 9th.

Hometown
Wyandotte, MI

Favorite hobby
Spending time with family, running and cycling

Go-to healthy meal
Pizza if that counts:)

Favorite exercise
Running and cycling

Job title
Ann Arbor Running Co. co-owner

What does wellness mean to you?
Wellness to me is being in balance both physically and mentally. I think for most of us that is a constant thing we need to work on. Life these days is pulling us in every direction possible. Setting some time aside to actively move and clear your mind is important to keep that balance in life.

Tell us about your business
Ann Arbor Running Co. is a running speciality store with two locations in Ann Arbor. We specialize in making sure runners and walkers get in the correct shoe and gear based on their foot structure, running history and various other factors. In addition to our retail store we have training groups for runners, support local races, and put on various community events.

What inspired you to get started in this industry?
I started working in a running store in high school and worked at one in college off and on. After college I taught and coached at a high school. I have always enjoyed being part of the running/endurance community and when the opportunity presented itself to open a running store, my business partner Ian Forsyth and I kind of just “ran” with the idea and here we are today.

What do you love about your industry?
I enjoy working with people who have goals to get better and who enjoy working hard to reach their goals.

How do you feel about the business environment here?
The business environment like anywhere else is extremely competitive. People have so many options when it comes to getting their running and fitness gear. We are very thankful for our loyal customers who continue to shop with us and who help spread the word about what we do at AARC. It really does take a village to raise a running store!

What are your business’s values?
Our business values are based on supporting our customers so they can achieve their goals.

Why is it important to you to engage with the local community?
It is important for Ann Arbor Running Co. to engage with the local community because a healthy community is a happy community.

What do you love about Ann Arbor?
A good amount of people in Ann Arbor see the benefits of being healthy and active. It also helps that a lot of people in Ann Arbor prefer to support a locally owned business.

What’s your favorite thing to do in Ann Arbor (or surrounding cities).
I enjoy being outdoors and exploring. Ann Arbor and the surrounding areas have some amazing trails and roads for hiking, running and cycling. The Huron River is great for kayaking and canoeing.

What inspires you every day?
I’d have to say my family (wife, daughter, parents, sibling, close friends, etc.) all keep me going. Without them I wouldn’t be in the position I am today.

How do you stay healthy?
I try to stay busy but not too busy. I come from the competitive side of sports and that kind of training isn’t always the healthiest because you are typically on the edge of pushing your body beyond what it can handle. I still like to compete and push myself but I don’t go to the extremes that I did when I was younger. I just take it a day at a time and get out of myself what is there on that day. I am also very lucky that my wife is an amazing cook and eats healthy. I still have some work to do on making sure I eat my fruits and veggies, but she keeps on me about that. No one’s perfect right:)

By the end of the year, what do you hope to accomplish?
I want to get better at not putting too much on my plate. Wish me luck!

What are you looking forward to at Wine & Wellness?
AARC enjoys attending MOVE’s Wine & Wellness because we get to meet other like-minded people. It’s great to have the opportunity to be surrounded by people who enjoy being active and healthy.

Join the Ann Arbor Running Company, MOVE Wellness, and other local vendors for Wine and Wellness on August 9th from 5:30-8:30. CLICK HERE to RSVP.

My name is Carol Shulman. I’ve been doing Pilates at Move Wellness since February 2018. This is my story.

100 Steps Forward

Last Digest-Your-Turkey day, I awoke with excruciating back pain. That’s not new: I had disk surgery in my late 20’s, have had two hip replacements, and I have osteoarthritis in my spine; any kind of semi-strenuous bending/lifting (see: “Remove turkey from oven”) often causes next-day back and sciatic pain. I also haven’t been able to walk any distance since my last hip replacement about 15 years ago. Standing up for one of my weekly 4-hour weekend cooking marathons (mostly vegetarian, always from whole real foods) left me gasping on the couch. Putting in my veggie garden was guaranteed to lay me low.

Here’s what was different this time: I was finally fed up. So, I signed up for physical therapy, intending to get gait training to learn to walk again. After 24 sessions, I was no longer in constant pain, but I was no closer to walking normally. My one attempt, mid-way through PT, was a disaster. After only 100 steps, the pain was too intense to continue. *SO* discouraging!

Trying Pilates for the First Time

At the end of January, my therapist gently explained that insurance wouldn’t pay for any more PT. She patted my leg, and said, “You simply have to get stronger,” and recommended the Transition Program at Move Wellness. My mom had recently died and left me a bit of money, so I decided to invest it in myself. I signed up for personal Pilates training with some dude named Tony. My goal is to walk a mile without discomfort.

I did this despite being skeptical. I always thought of Pilates as something for The Real Housewives of , and that is definitely not me! My skepticism wasn’t improved upon meeting Tony. He initially didn’t match my mental image of a Pilates trainer. But I remembered that the lady who did my intake told me “every personal trainer here has a story.” And it’s not like I am some kind of athletic goddess. (Although I was quite athletic in my younger days, I’m now 64, overweight, have a desk job, and tending toward couch potato, at least in the winter.) So, I chided myself for being judgmental and decided to roll with it and have my first session.

It was freaking AWESOME! Tony — unlike me — was entirely nonjudgmental; I’ve come to understand that’s a thing at MOVE Wellness Studios. He was kind, gentle, attentive, motivating, and explained things very clearly. I felt great after that first session! Mind you, when he first asked me to do a simple back extension exercise, I couldn’t even fathom what he was talking about. And I thought we were doing “side-line leg work,” whatever that was. I could barely do 5 clams. Now I’m doing 10 clams each side against a resistance band, and I can lift my arms off the mat when I do those pesky back extensions. And now I do side lying leg work, and my hips no longer wobble when I circle my leg, toes pointed and “reaching long.”

Even though the Reformer reminds me of a cross between a rowing machine and a torture rack, I’ve grown quite fond of the work we do there. I’ve worked with a couple of other trainers, both just as warm, supportive and effective as Tony. But I feel like I have a special bond with Tony; no one motivates me better than he does! (By the way, I was totally wrong about him…he is a man of steel!) I haven’t lost much weight yet, and I can’t yet walk a mile without pain.

But after 4 short months I’m seeing the benefits of Pilates:

– I’m beginning to reconnect with my inner athlete.

– I’ve lost a dress size.

– My posture is better.

– I can garden, cook for hours, and do heavy housework without paying for it later.

– I’ve got actual (semi-firm) haunches instead of marshmallow butt cheeks.

– I’ve walked as much as 0.8 miles in day, which is quite a ways from those pitiful 100 steps!

Carol Pilates Success Story Before Pilates, gardening caused Carol to have next-day pain and stiffness, but now she can garden without paying for it later.

This summer, I can’t wait to see how much easier it is to climb up the tiny boarding ladder into my boat and how much stronger my frog-kick is when swimming. And now that the weather is better, I’m starting some more systematic “mindful walking.” I have no doubt I’ll hit that mile before summer’s out.

I’ll echo Tony’s story: Signing up at MOVE Wellness Studios was one of the best decisions of my life!

Interested in becoming a Pilates success story yourself? Try an introductory session today!