Using Mindful Movement to Decrease Stress
“The key to relieving stress is tuning in to what is happening in your body and what you need in the moment to calm your nervous system. Mindful movement helps make this possible.”—Elaine Economou
Simply put, mindful movement is noticing how you feel while you are moving. It’s the practice of moving intentionally and being aware of the sensations in your body. You are not moving for the outcome but rather for the experience of bringing awareness to the body without judgement.
Elaine Economou’s latest blog for popular website, Sixty and Me covers how we can use mindful movement to focus on the body and connect to the breath to decrease our stress levels. Read the full blogpost on Sixty and Me.
How do I practice mindful movement?
Creating a mindful movement routine for yourself requires just a little time and attention. You can get started with the workout routine linked above and these tips:
- This isn’t your cardio workout—set aside time separate from your regular workout.
- Strive for consistency—choose a length of time and try to stick to it every day.
- Connect to your breathing—just noticing your inhales and exhales will focus your mind and release some stress.
- Let your body move—go ahead and move your body in whatever way it craves.
- Go ahead and yawn—your movements should have quality of a yawn like your first morning stretch.
- Take inventory on yourself—notice how you feel when you start and again when you are done.
- Trust the process—the more you practice, the deeper the impact will become.
Mindful movement and more
Need more guidance? We know the more you move, the better you feel. Sometimes we need a little push to get started. We now have just the thing. An all around program to get you started with movement, including built in mindful moments.
Elaine Economou’s new Movement Essentials: Getting Started with Pilates is a 28-day program at MOVE On Demand designed to get you moving safely and keep you on track. Each week Elaine introduces you to the basic principles of Pilates with a consistent warm up, weekly classes, and a variety of special topics to enhance your journey. And, it comes with an easy-to-follow calendar that will guide you through a clear progression and provide a foundation for healthy movement.
Watch the trailer to learn more. Support the activities you love to do in life by starting today!
About Elaine Economou
As co-founder of MOVE Wellness®, Elaine Economou helps people move with ease, strength, and joy. Her passion is empowering people to understand their unique bodies and build strength to support moving well through their unique life. Elaine has created Movement Essentials: Getting Started with Pilates to help people move well and live a life they love – wherever and whenever.
Find all of Elaine’s Sixty and Me blogs on her author page.